Monday, August 19, 2013

Back to Ubud

We returned to Ubud, our starting point in Bali, full circle. We went to an all-women's gamelan (traditional orchestra) and dance performance. I am glad that we waited until we'd been in Bali a while to see this performance, as otherwise the significance would not have been as great. Traditionally, it is ONLY men that play the gamelan publicly. In several different places around Bali we asked if women ever played the gamelan, and the answer was a definite "No." So to be able to see an all-women gamelan--one who had performed around the world, no less (it was mentioned that they'd played in Denmark)--was quite amazing. Huge respect to those women, for it can't be easy.

We'd been talking for a while about the various cultural classes in Ubud, and decided to take one on Offering Making. Constantly we have seen women putting out the daily (if not more frequent) offerings, so we thought it would be a good experience to learn more about the significance of them, and how to make them. Our class was more about the latter than the former, but worth it nonetheless. Our class lasted two hours and culminated in our teacher giving the offerings to the gods.


Offering holder made of coconut leaves (I think)
Offerings complete with faces and the necessary flowers

Students and teacher (in proper Balinese attire)

Giving to the Gods

On August 15th, my mom left Bali, going back to the US, marking the beginning of my solo journey. I was not to feel so alone though, for within hours of her leaving I had a lucky 'chance' encounter at the internet cafe: the meeting of a friend, who I met nearly two years ago at a volunteer project in Laos, who is now living in Ubud. I have had the pleasure of hanging out with her and her friends in recent days.

The morning after my mom left, I ran into a cremation procession. I heard that it lasted three days, I missed the climax, but saw part of it at least.



Waiting for the last day

The coming days were to be some of the most interesting...


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures of the cremation procession! And way to leave it on a cliffhanger...can't wait to read your next post.

    ReplyDelete